Are you debating whether or not to trash your favorite pair of shoes due to an embarrassing shoe odor? Do you tend to sweat more than other people you know? Hyperhidrosis is a condition where a person sweats excessively, even when the temperature is cool. Those that suffer from hyperhidrosis may have more problems associated with foot odors. Fungal infections or bacteria are two of the biggest causes of foot odor, and excessive sweating creates an optimal environment for bugs to grow. Below are some tips to make shoes less smelly.
- UV shoe deodorizers have shown to help by killing bacteria in shoes. However, UV shoe deodorizers are often expensive and not practical for most people. For example, Columbus Podiatry & Surgery offers the Sterishoe for $130.
- Stuff two dryer sheets in each shoe until the shoes are worn again.
- Sprinkle two tablespoons of borax into each shoe, then dump it out before wearing again.
- Mix baking soda with medicated foot powder and let the mixture sit in the shoes for at least 8 hours before wearing.
- Fill a spray bottle with either green tea or vodka and spray in shoes. Let the solution dry before putting shoes back on.
- Try not to wear the same shoes more than two days in a row.
These tips will only help with smelly shoes, but there are solutions to help alleviate smelly feet as well. If sweat is the cause of the foot odor the best solution is an antiperspirant made especially for the feet. Some antiperspirants are sold over the counter, and stronger ones may require a prescription. Soaking the feet in black tea for 30 minutes a day for a week is another great solution. If a fungus is the cause of foot odor, then your Podiatrist may prescribe an anti-fungal medication. Columbus Podiatry & Surgery offer a large assortment of products. Please visit ColumbusFoot product page for more information. If you are suffering from embarrassing foot odor, then don’t hesitate to contact your Podiatrist to find the best solution for you!
Please visit www.ColumbusFoot.com for more information or call 614-885-3338 (FEET) to schedule an appointment with a podiatrist in Columbus, Ohio. Columbus Podiatry & Surgery is located on the North side of Columbus, Ohio near Worthington.
Columbus Podiatry & Surgery in Gahanna, near Easton. Please call 614-476-3338 (FEET) for an appointment with a podiatrist in Gahanna, OH today.