You may have heard the saying “April showers bring may flowers,” but April is also national foot health awareness month. Having healthy feet is imperative for staying active and fit. The average moderately active person will take 216,262,500 steps in their lifetime, which is equivalent to 110,000 miles. That is a lot of miles to put on your feet! Here are some recommendations to keep your feet healthy.
- Check your feet daily for any cuts, redness, or calluses, especially if you are diabetic. Use a mirror if you cannot see the bottom of your feet.
- Ensure that your shoes fit well and do not rub or cause red spots. Supportive shoes are also important. Flats, flip-flops, and high heels should be kept to a minimum. If you are diabetic consult your podiatrist for shoe recommendations.
- Do not wear socks that are too tight. Always wear clean, dry socks.
- After bathing, dry the feet completely, especially between the toes.
- Use lotion on the feet, but not between the toes.
- Do not go barefoot.
- Do calf stretches before and after exercising.
- When you apply sunscreen, don’t forget to apply some to your feet!
- Maintaining a healthy weight is one of the most beneficial things you can do.
- If you get a cut that does not heal, see your podiatrist right away.
- If you injure your foot or ankle, see a podiatrist right away.
- Trim or file toenails straight across to avoid ingrown toenails. If you are diabetic or have poor circulation, consult your podiatrist first.
- If you are diabetic, good blood sugar control is essential to keeping your feet healthy.
- If you have decreased sensation or feeling in your feet, be careful of hot surfaces and hot water.
These are just a few recommendations to keep your feet healthy. If you have any concerns, it is best to seek treatment early to prevent more serious complications. Regular follow-ups with a podiatrist are important for diabetics. Keep your feet healthy so you can go the extra mile, even when it isn’t national foot health awareness month!
Please visit our website for more information or call 614-885-3338 (FEET) to schedule an appointment with us at our Columbus, Gahanna or Dublin, OH office.